Wednesday, July 2, 2008

First Triathlon in 18 months, or hardly any training....

6/29/08
Baldwin Park Sprint Triathlon
.75K Swim
13.4 mile Bike
2.5 mile Run
S 0:23:22.514
T1 0:01:46.204
B 0:42:16.374
T2 0:01:07.306
R 0:23:19.335 Total 1:32:17.095

Totally bad idea; actually, it would be a good idea to do some training first. Hardly any biking, 2-3 swims, and some running (no LSD runs) for my base. I get up around 5:30am with my stuff pack (or so I thought-read on), and throw on my tri suit, shorts, T-shirt, and sandals to head over to the race. About ten minutes into my 15 minute ride, I realize my racing goggles are in my other bag. No problem, I useby tri pack for IMFL, and I pulled over to make sure they were still in there....check. I kept going. Check-in went smoothly, I did a littleCrossFit WarmUp to get going, some short runs, and then I headed out to the water to get a little wet. As I start to zip up my singlet, I realize that I initially put the tri-suit on backwards! The portOjons' lines are super-long, so I head out to the water. As I strip down, and tun my suit inside out in the water, I lose my balance on a reed or somehtin on the lake floor. My goggles are lost! I finish putting on my suit, and run back up to tranisition area, thinking there's no way I've got another set of goggles in there. The Goggle Gods smile upon me this morning, as I find an old set of goggles in the bottom of my bag. I realize at this time that I forgot my towel at home, though. Anyways, the race went OK. No issues on the swim, bike, or run for me. It was hot as balls, I saw a few drafters on the bike, but me not swimming that much really cost me. My swim split was about 5 minutes slower than what I usually swim for 750m.
Still, I can't complain about 3rd place. Thanks to the Race Director for having the Super Clydesdale division this year, although the guy that won my division didn't look over 225 lbs.

Even worse is that I somehow got into a message board smackdown that ended up with me being challenged to an Olympic Distance Triathlon in exactly three months! I don't know how that happened, but it did. BTW an Olympic distance triathlon is 1500m swim, 24.8 mile bike, and a 10k (6.2 mile) run. I've always wanted to break three hours for this distance; however, I've never been able to do it. Hopefully, I can sneak in a couple decent rides to build up my aerobic base...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice work on the cold turkey triathlon. Just think, you probably would have finished first with a solid week of training. All things considered, goggles go missing, suit on backwards, heat, you gotta like the results.

I'm not sure if I have told you this before, but I'm really impressed with your success with these events. Except for the firefighter challenge, but there is always next year. We are all pretty proud of you. I'll never measure up.

As for the Olympic triathlon, you know that guy is probably 100#'s and from Nigeria don't you? Let me know when the funeral is for what will be left of your body, I'll need to get my suit dry cleaned