Thursday, May 1, 2008

How did DC do?

....in his new competitive ventures? Not too bad, I guess; probably better than I expected. Here's a quick recap.

Firefighter Combat Challenge Gainesville, FL
We packed up the family, and headed over to GatorLand early in the AM for my very first FfCC event. There wasn't too big of a turnout (about 60 people in my division); however, I just wanted to finish around three minutes and not fall on my ass IFO people. The guy I went up against was a 6'4" Adonis, that looked like an NFL TE. He said that it was his first event, as well. I also ended up in the stairwell opposite the layout that I have been training on; instead of carrying the 50 lb hose pack on my left shoulder, and having my right hand on the stairwell....I had to flip hands. My start was a little slower, due to that fact. After I made it up the four flights up stairs, I then had to bend over the top of the tower and hoist a 40 lb. roll of hose with a rope. The guy I was up against was finished by the time I made my second pull-that was the last I saw of him. I kept a solid pace, got the hose roll up, and headed down the stairs. Next was the Kaiser Sled, in which you straddle a steel railroad tie and strike it several times with a sledge hammer. My arms were full of lactate after the hoisting just prior; nevertheless, I finished and jogged 200 feet to the next part. I had to pick up a charged fire hose, and advance it 100 feet, and spray water. I've got pretty strong legs, so this was no problem. The final event is the victim rescue-a 175 lb. dummy drag, in which you have to drag the dummy from behind, walking backwards the whole time. The guy I was up against had just finished at this time, but I maintained my own race. I picked up the dummy, and backpedaled as hard as I could. I crossed teh finish line in 2:36, 25 seconds better than my goal. I also had the second-fastest time among first-timers at the event. The fastest? The guy I went up against. Unfortunatley, I finished 41st out fo 60 guys. I wish these weren't so far away, because I could really get into this stuff. Big shout-outs to my girls, Shannon Elise and Katherine Grace, for getting up at 5am and hanging with me for the day.

Corporate 5K Downtown Orlando

I did this 5K run in turnout pants and coat, in the upper 80s/lower 90s temps. I kept 9:10-9:20 miles throughout, and finsihed in 29:20, about 20-30 seconds faster than last year. Next 5K, I'll probably do it with an airpack on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work in the competition's cuz! Did you run that 5K in gear for any particular reason? You definately humble the rest of us, your regular working cousins...Good work...

Dave said...

i did it last year in gear. no real reason why, but other runners and bystanders really get fired up by it.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed. Makes me want to go run a few laps, or just go grab a donut and re-read all the work you just did. You need to get some pix of you doing these races up on your blog. - Kelly